#ATTENTION AFRICAN APP DEVELOPERS!
(OFFICIAL CONTEST MESSAGE FROM PAYPAL) – PayPal is thrilled to announce its next PayPal X Developer Challenge with $160,000 USD in prizes for developers who build innovative applications using the PayPal X Platform. Two quick things before you read on:
1. Although this contest is not limited to U.S. entrants, California and U.S. law governs this contest.
2. Follow Pay Pal on Twitter for updates to the contest; we’ll use the hashtag #xcontest.
August 4th Registration Bonus
If you register for the contest by August 4th 11:59:59 pm Pacific, you’ll be entered to win one of 10 iPads. Registration is easy; it takes two minutes to tell us about what you plan to submit. Hey, why not do it now? Or, if you want to build something with your friends, set up some time with them to brainstorm what you’d like to enter. Remember, your application doesn’t need to be strictly about payments; it just needs to use PayPal’s products in some manner.
$100,000 Grand Prize
The Grand Prize is $50,000 USD plus $50,000 USD in waived transaction fees for up to one year. The full eligibility requirements are detailed in the official rules, but in a nutshell, you need to submit a link to your application built using any of PayPal’s products plus a 2 minute video. The top entries will be selected by PayPal and invited to exhibit their applications at the PayPal X Innovate 2010 conference October 26th and 27th in San Francisco. The Grand Prize winner will be selected from among these top entries by PayPal and external judges.
We’ve set up some special awards offered by both our partners and us which are designed to reward innovation in key areas. These X Awards are judged independently and a single team could, in theory, win multiple X Awards and/or the Grand Prize. To be considered for an X Award, you will need to meet the eligibility requirements for the overall contest as well as any additional requirements for the X Award(s) for which you are applying. The top X Award entries will be invited to exhibit their applications at the PayPal X Innovate 2010 conference October 26th and 27th in San Francisco.
- Yahoo! Developer Network is excited to participate as a sponsor in the PayPal X Developer Challenge. Our prize of $10,000 will go to the application that demonstrates the most useful and inventive integration of PayPal and Yahoo! technologies. Details»
- eBay: eBay will award a $10,000 USD X Award for the best application that leverages the eBay Developer APIs. Details»
- Mobile Payment Library: The PayPal Mobile team is offering a $10,000 X Award for the iPhone or Android app that makes the most innovative use of our mobile payments library.Details»
- Student: PayPal will award a $10,000 X Award to the best application submitted by a student-only team. Details»
- Send/Request Money: A $10,000 X Award will be offered for the most useful application that allows people to easily send and/or request money from within favorite online tools. Details»
- Cross-border commerce: PayPal will award $10,000 USD to the application that best promotes cross-border commerce. The application must facilitate commercial payments between two parties that are primarily located in different countries. Details»
Please note that we may add additional X Awards at any point.
People’s Choice Award
Submitted applications will be available for public voting through x.com from September 24th 12:01:00 am to October 5th 11:59:59 pm Pacific. The top applications as decided by the voting community will be invited to exhibit their applications at the PayPal X Innovate 2010 conference. While there is no monetary award for the People’s Choice Award, PayPal will recognize the application that received the most votes on stage, blog about the application on x.com, and may engage in other promotional activities with the People’s Choice winner.
Innovate 2010 Audience Choice Award
The PayPal X Innovate 2010 developer conference will take place October 26th and 27th in San Francisco, and will have exhibition space for teams who were selected as a top application within their category. The Innovate 2010 audience will be able to vote on these selected applications. While there is no monetary award associated with the Innovate 2010 Audience Choice Award, the winner will be recognized on stage, will receive blog coverage on x.com, and may be involved in other promotional activities.
“Great,” you are saying. “My application is so hot, I plan to win all the awards. What do I need to do by when?” Here are the key dates to pay attention to. All times are 11:59:59 pm Pacific unless noted otherwise.
- August 4th: Register the idea that you plan to submit, and we’ll enter you to win one of ten iPads! Registrations takes about 2 minutes, so don’t delay!
- September 1st: Some of PayPal’s products require approval. If you plan to use any of these products, then you must submit your application into the approval process by September 1st. More details are on the idea submission form.
- September 22nd: Your contest submission must be complete by this point. This means that you must have built your application. It must be functional. If approval was required, then it must be approved. You must have created and submitted your 2 minute video, which includes footage of your product. Also, as a special note for those applying for the Mobile X Award, your application must have been approved and be live in the Apple AppStore or Android Market by this date.
- September 24th 12:01 am Pacific: Public voting through x.com for the best app begins at this point.
- October 5th: Public voting ends.
- October 6th: This is our target for notifying teams whether they have been selected to occupy exhibit space at the PayPal X Innovate 2010 conference.
- October 26th: PayPal X Innovate 2010 Audience choice voting begins.
- October 27th: All winners are announced.
For specific eligibility requirements, please review our official terms and conditions for the contest. Here are some of the key elements:
- Your application must make use of PayPal’s products. For more information about the many products and services that developers use, visit x.com.
- You must have both a PayPal account and an x.com account in order to enter this contest.
- PayPal will accept entries from anywhere in the world, but you do need to agree that this is a U.S. contest bound by U.S. laws.
- Each X Award has its own eligibility criteria in addition to the criteria for the general contest.
- The application cannot have won a prior contest sponsored by PayPal, or have received funding from PayPal.
While PayPal, the external judges, and the X Award sponsors may select winners at their sole discretion, here are some of the general guidelines that they will use:
- Innovative and “buzzworthy”: Innovative concepts that are able to capture the public imagination will be viewed more favorably than concepts that reflect existing ideas.
- Viable business: The judges will favor viable business concepts over those that are less likely to succeed.
- Newer applications favored: We welcome applications that have been built previously, or that have been entered into prior contests, but the judges will tend to favor newer applications and ideas.
- Merchant integrations are less interesting: While it is possible to enter an online store into the contest because it meets the requirement of using PayPal’s products, classic ecommerce applications are unlikely to win the judges’ hearts. Tools and services that “change how we pay” will be much more interesting for the judges.