The UNEP Young Environmental Journalist Award is open to print, broadcast and online journalists who have reported on environmental issues in 2010. This could include a radio report on a local sustainable development project, a news article on pollution or a television report on the effects of climate change.
Deadline: 31 December 2010
1. Entries are limited to African journalists, between 25 to 35 years old, working for African-based news and media organisations. Freelance journalists are welcome to apply
2. Print, online, radio and television journalists from any African country may apply
3. Reports submitted to the competition must have been published or broadcast during the 2010 calendar year
4. Entrants will submit one story only. This can be a news or features story from a newspaper, magazine or news website, a television report or radio report on an environmental theme
5. Posts from personal blogs will not be accepted
6. Public relations material or articles of a promotional nature will not be accepted
7. The YEJA administrators and jury are the final authorities for determining whether an entry is eligible
8. UNEP does not charge entry fees – or any other fees – in relation to the award
9. Written articles should not exceed 3000 words
10. Radio or television reports should be no longer than 6 minutes
11. All entries must be accompanied by a completed application form
12. Entries (both online and postal) must be received by 5pm (Nairobi time) on 31st December 2010. Entries received after this date will be disqualified. There are no entry fees
13. Articles and reports should be submitted in English or French only
14. Electronic files uploaded with applications must conform to the specifications outlined in the application form
15. In submitting an entry, the entrant accepts that he or she has read, understood and accepted the competition rules
16. Entrants should keep copies of all material submitted
17. UNEP reserves the right to reproduce entries for use in promotional materials and campaigns
About the Competition
UNEP – the voice of the environment within the United Nations – is launching a new competition, with funding support from the Government of the United States of America, to encourage inspiring reporting on the environment by young journalists in Africa.
The winner will be eligible for an all-expenses-paid trip to the USA*, where they will follow a unique, “green” itinerary. The winner will travel across the country, interacting with environmental projects, leading environmental journalists, scientists and public figures.
The award ceremony will take place during the 26th Session of the UNEP Governing Council / Global Ministerial Environment Forum to be held in Nairobi, Kenya from 21 – 25 February 2011. Read more