(NAN) The organised labour movement on Monday suspended its nationwide protests and urged workers to embark on a sit-at-home strike.
Comrade Abdulwaheed Omar, President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), told newsmen in Abuja, after an extensive meeting of labour leaders, that the decision was taken due to serious concerns about national security.
“We came to a conclusion that our strike will continue but we will embark on stay-at-home, that is, staying off the streets in order to make sure we don’t, in the first instance, endanger innocent lives because of the security situation in the country and the reports we are getting.
“This is based on the fact that there are calls by Nigerians about the abrupt nature of the imposition of deregulation,” he said.
Omar also said that President Goodluck Jonathan had appealed to labour to consider the fact that there had been security reports indicating that people outside organised labour and civil society were likely to hijack the street protests.
The labour leader said that the President had decided to put on hold the issue of full deregulation pending the positioning of certain issues, especially in the areas of palliatives.
He said that Labour had also agreed to dialogue with the Justice Belgore Committee regarding other issues underlying the whole issue of deregulation and fuel subsidy.
“We are, however, also going to analyse the issues involved, especially the issue of the committee that we envisaged will work toward coming up with permanent solutions regarding the issue of deregulation.”
Omar added that the issue of pricing would be the outcome of the Belgore Committee assignment, which would be worked out within two or three days. (NAN)