President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria has recently unveiled an 80 paged progress report of his administration. Titled, Sure and Steady Transformation, the document itemizes the progress he has made in various sectors of the economy from agriculture to power.
The document was unveiled today during an exclusive media presentation held by the President’s office.
Speaking on the progress report, President Jonathan had this to say:
Today, our unity is firm, and our purpose is strong. Our determination unshakable. Together, we will unite our nation and improve the living standards of all our peoples whether in the North or in the South; in the East or in the West.
Here are some sample achievements as documented in the report:
- Review and clean-up of the oil subsidy regime through the creation of the Aig-Imoukhuede Committee, which later turned into a Presidential Taskforce. The committee identified N370 billion in fraudulent oil subsidy claims targeted now for recovery.
- Strong performance of Nigeria’s Eurobond which has led to its inclusion in JP Morgan Emerging Markets Bond Index
- Five new airport terminals at Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Enugu, andPort Harcourt – $500 million
- Launched the NigComSat-1R satellite to complement the fibre connectivity and provide more bandwidth for the nation.
- 10Gbs Fibre optic Network to connect Nigerian Universities to wider research and education universe, in partnership with the NUC, World Bank and TetFund
- Signed an MOU with Nokia Corporationto establish a lab in Nigeria to support the domestic mobile software industry.
- Rehabilitation of existing power infrastructure [which] has yielded up to 1000MW of electricity
- Attained a new peak generation of 4,322MW delivered in December 2011. This is the highest/maximum capacity ever attained
- MOU with DAEWOO E &C of Korea in July 2012. In this Daewoo E&C has committed to investing up to 20% Equity per project summing up to 10,000MW