The South African Reserve Bank (the Bank) has an extensive art collection that includes works in many different media produced from the early twentieth century to the present day. As part of its commitment to supporting and growing a new generation of South African artists, the Bank is offering an annual art scholarship to a final year Fine Art student at a university or university of technology in Gauteng province, South Africa.
Details of scholarship
The art scholarship is open to students who will be entering the final year of an undergraduate Fine Art degree in 2013.
The scholarship is open to students registered at a university or university of technology in the Gauteng province.
The value of the art scholarship is R50 000, which covers tuition fees and materials.
As part of the art scholarship, the student will participate in a mentorship programme and will be expected to donate one artwork from his or her graduate show to the Bank.
Documents to be submitted:
1. Application form
2. Photographic reproductions of 3 to 5 artworks (these works need to be appropriate for a corporate collection)
3. Artist statement (maximum 300 words about yourself, your art, why you think you should receive this scholarship and your need for financial support)
4. Full academic transcript to mid-2012
5. A certified copy of your South African identity document (all applicants must be South African citizens).
1. Applicants will be shortlisted based on artwork submitted, artist statement and academic results
2. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed at the Bank’s Head Office in Pretoria.
3. A final decision will be made once the applicants have submitted their final results for 2012.