But now, we have acquired our rightful status, and I feel sure that history will show that the building of our nation proceed at the wisest pace; it has been thorough, and Nigeria now stands well-built upon firm foundations…” “… I promise you, we shall not fail for want of determination. And we come to this task better equipped than many.” Prime Minister Alhaji Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, in a speech declaring Nigeria’s independence.
“Give 2 Nigeria” is a social cause that is calling on all Nigerians to develop a mindset to stand up for a better Nigeria. “Nigeria is calling citizens like you to be a catalyst for positive social change. We know you can make a difference and become a change-maker in your community.” The platform aims to inspire the everyday citizen to give his or her best towards the triumph of Nigeria, to drive social and attitudinal change by emboldening Nigerians to make ethical and socially responsible decisions. “For Nigerians, this grass-roots approach will underline the mounting issues facing us, and the very real implications of not pushing for change which includes severely diminished opportunities and unmitigated economic and social disaster.”
We are accountable for tomorrow. The efforts begin now. Service must be more than an obligation, it must be a way of life.
Here are five ways to join the Give 2 Nigeria movement and make a difference:
1. Get Involved
Take the Pledge and do your part to ensure that ethical and socially responsible behavior are at the core of what you do every day. Please encourage family members, friends, co-workers, business associates and members of your professional and community association to take the pledge. Participate in the Good Neighbors Program. Volunteer your time, skills or experience to a charitable cause in your local community.
2. Lead By Example
Become an Ambassador. Ambassadors are critical to our success; they form and facilitate chapters of motivated people who come together to find and implement lasting solutions to community issues. Click here to fill out the application form.
3. Spread the Word
Invite your family, friends and colleagues to join the Give 2 Nigeria initiative. Make sure they are aware of the mission, strategies and website address. Click here to spread the word
Tell Nigeria Your Stories of Giving. Please send us stories that exemplify the best of giving to Nigeria, and we will pass them along to encourage others. Click here to share stories of Giving.
4. Stand Up for a Just and Inclusive Society
• Respect and support the protection of universal human rights.
• Denounce all forms of violence, harassment, discrimination and intimidation.
• Create opportunities for all to contribute and advance based on merit but not on ethnicity, tribe, religion, gender, relationships or background.
• Eliminate ethnic/gender/religious based quotas that give special treatment and advantages to any group.
5. Stand Up for Community Engagement
• Display a passion and commitment for solving today’s and tomorrow’s biggest challenges in the community.
• Volunteer time, donate goods and organize events for social causes and charities in your local community.
• Help needy children by pooling resources with friends, family members and co-workers to pay school fees and educational materials.
• Become a mentor. Make a difference in young adult’s lives as you help them prepare for success in the workplace, and in life.
• Tutor children at a school in your local community and help them improve their reading and writing skills.
• Provide the homeless, elderly with nutritious meals and clothing.
• Initiate, lead and participate in activities to keep your neighborhood clean and safe.
• Register to vote and exercise your right and privilege to vote.
• Encourage others to register to vote and exercise their right and privilege to vot
• Let your voice be heard on key issues in community meetings and other forums.
• Hold your elected representatives accountable for what they do and what they fail to do.