Given its commitment to deepening and strengthening electoral processes and institutions in Nigeria through youth participation in the election process of the forthcoming April 2011 general elections, African Women and Youth Organization in partnership with Commonwealth Monitoring Team (CMT) proudly announce the call for application for its Y-Count Citizenship Reporting workshop for youth across Nigeria.
Y-Count Campaign is a 60 days countdown to Nigeria’s April 2011 general Elections and the next 100 days after Elections. Our objective is to capture the voices and views of Nigeria’s vibrant and enormous youth population. Y-Count Campaign’s Facebook account was launched on January 28th 2011 and currently has over 1600 members, just in less than two months.
ABOUT CITIZENSHIP REPORTING WORKSHOP
In Nigeria, 70% of the estimated 150 million people are under 35 years old (2006 Census). Of the over 67 million registered voters for the forthcoming April 2011 general election, 65% are youth (INEC Provisional Voters Register). This infers that youth are critical stakeholders in the forthcoming election. It is no longer news that Nigeria’s youth are the most significant voting bloc!
Citizenship Report workshop is an integral part of the Y-count social platform. It is an avenue for young people in different parts of the country to be reporters in their locality. The idea is that people without professional journalism training can use the tools of modern technology tools (Mobile phones, I-pods, I-pads etc) to give reports and happenings around them. Participants are to benefit from practical sessions on Webcasting, Principles of Patriotism, Basic Writing Skills etc
* Educate and equip young people on how to independently report happenings around them during the elections and the next 100 days after the election.
* Expose young people to critical skills, tools and support that they will require to become change agents in the forthcoming polls
* To alert the youth to the important role that they play in promoting free and fair election
To be eligible, participants must:
* Be between the ages of 18-35 and must be resident in any of the 36 states of the federation and the FCT.
* Have demonstrated commitment to self development and sustainable development of democratic principles and values in Nigeria
* Be fluent in spoken and written English
* In addition, applicants should have an internet-ready laptop as internet facility would be provided for practical sessions.
All individuals interested in applying for this training are to provide a resume. Applications (A brief explanation of yourself and why you want to attend the training) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
DEADLINE: The deadline for application is Friday March 25th, 2011. Only the first thirty (30) applicants will be sent letter of invitation which they are to come along with on the day of the training.
If you have questions or concerns about the Citizenship Reporting workshop, please contact Ibisimewari Igani via phone on 0816 322 1973 or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Wale Salami via phone on 08035796509 or via e-mail: email@example.com