South Africa offers an impressive leisure experience that makes it one of the favourite countries to visit in the African continent. According to Africa.com, these are 6 hotspots to check out if you ever find yourself in Johannesburg, South Africa’s ‘City of Gold’.
1. Signature, Morningside: Stylish and decadent, Signature restaurant is where to go if you want to impress and be impressed. Located inside the exclusive Morningside Shopping Centre, it’s the perfect venue for everything from business dinners to a romantic night out. Expect luscious décor, tasty food (as well as an extensive shellfish menu) and lively jazz music.
2. 12 Decades Art Hotel Rooftop, Maboneng Precinct: Situated deep in the heart of Johannesburg’s Central Business District, the rooftop bar at the 12 Decades Art hotel offers amazing views of the inner city. The area forms part of the newly developed Maboneng Precinct, part of city’s urban renewal efforts to revitalize the surrounding neighbourhood and attract more people to come into parts of the city that have long being neglected. Before you leave, ask to view the hotel rooms. Decorated by some of the country’s most talented designers, each one is themed on 12 decades of Johannesburg’s history, from 1886-2006, making it somewhat of an exciting artistic history lesson.
3. Katzy’s, Rosebank: A premium award-winning steakhouse, sophisticated cigar lounge, and live music venue. Katzy’s is already a long-standing favourite among local and foreign business types. The dining area has a classic New York grill-house feel with its art deco style, while the large comfy leather couches in the cigar lounge is a sumptuous space to sip on their wide selection of whiskey’s, bourbons and cognacs. Expect a packed dance floor later in the evening once the resident band starts playing.
4. Neighbourgoods Market, Braamfontein: A converted parking lot has become a trendy weekend hangout for a mixed crowd of mostly locals with some tourists. The two-story market takes place every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. It’s a relaxing but ‘vibey’ place to spend the afternoon browsing pass vendors selling locally-made products and vintage wares and tasting some of the international food on offer at the stalls. If you want to stay in the area after 3 p.m., try the Great Dane pub across the road.
5. San Deck, Sandton: A sexy venue on the rooftop of the Sandton Sun hotel, San Deck offers sweeping views of the Sandton skyline, making it the perfect venue to enjoy sundowners. Best during warmer summer and spring months, though the generous fire pits makes for a cosy atmosphere on cooler nights. If you prefer being indoors, try the adjoining San Bar with snug booths and a tasty bar food menu.
6. Hush, Rosebank: This Bar and Lounge is quite simply plush, from its black-painted walls and velvet champagne-coloured couches to the dim purple lighting. It’s the place to go after dark if you want to dance to Top 40 tunes. Located in Rosebanks’s fashionable Design District, it attracts a fun, trendy crowd looking to have a good time. Open from 9 p.m. on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.