FIRSTBANK LTD (“First Bank Commercial Banking Group” or the “Bank”), a subsidiary of FBN Holdings Plc announces today that it has completed the acquisition of a 100% equity interest in ICB GHANA, ICB SIERRA LEONE, ICB GUINEA and ICB GAMBIA from INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL BANK FINANCIAL GROUP HOLDINGS AG (ICBFGH) (the “transaction”).
- The transaction has been effected through the completion of a Conditional Sale and Purchase Agreement with ICBFGH.
- As a result of the acquisition, FirstBank will consolidate its position as one of the largest corporate and retail banking financial institutions in sub-Saharan Africa (excluding South Africa). The transaction delivers against FirstBank’s stated ambition to win significant market share, expand its pan-African footprint and diversify earnings while delivering value to shareholders.
- The transaction has considerable strategic benefits directly aligned with FirstBank’s growth plans and provides a very strong platform for regional growth as the Bank expands its operations to take advantage of opportunities across the wider continent. Expansion offers a range of benefits, including new growth options, a diversified and broader geographic earnings profile, reduced country specific risk and enhanced customer benefits. By establishing a footprint in carefully selected African countries, the Bank expects to improve its ability to effectively serve an increasingly international profile of corporate and institutional customers
- Across ICB’s West Africa operations First Bank has acquired existing banking operations in four new markets, with 28 branches of which 17 are in Ghana, 5 in Guinea, 4 in Gambia and 2 in Sierra Leone. ICB’s West African operations employ over 600 people and their assets will enhance the Bank’s balance sheet by 1.32%. With over 120,000 customer accounts and a focus on the mid-corporate, SME and retail segments ICB provides clear alignment with the Bank’s existing strategic focus.
- The transaction has the support of the Boards of Directors of each of the banks involved and the relevant regulatory approvals have been obtained. The combined entity will be incorporated into the international banking operations of FirstBank, which are headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria.
- FirstBank remains the leading bank in the Nigerian banking sector with a Total Asset base of N3.3trillion (US$21.3 billion) as at 30 June 2013.
- The transaction expands the Bank’s geographic footprint to cover 10 markets internationally, with existing operations outside Nigeria in the United Kingdom and France through its subsidiary, FBN Bank (UK) Limited. It also has representative offices in Johannesburg, Beijing and Abu Dhabi. As a first step towards establishing a broader pan-African footprint, in October 2011, the Bank acquired a new subsidiary, Banque International de Crédit (BIC), one of the leading banks in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Commenting on the transaction, Bisi Onasanya, Chief Executive Officer of FirstBank said:
“The acquisition of ICBGFH assets in Ghana, Guinea, Gambia and Sierra Leone fulfils the first stage of our ambitions to steadily build a broader and more diverse footprint across Africa. We are committed to developing a multi-local business model that broadens our geographic revenue base while providing enhanced service delivery to our new customers.
By leveraging the transfer of FirstBank’s, expertise and execution capabilities, supported by the Bank’s robust risk management and corporate governance policies, there is a strong opportunity for an appreciable rise in the combined entity’s asset turnover over time while net revenue synergies are set to improve profit margins.”